#SunshineInterview 1 - ANSHUL SINHA

Blog Miss Sunshine is proud to introduce the New Feature - 'SUNSHINE INTERVIEWS'

Let us begin this series with the one who gave me this idea, Mr. ANSHUL SINHA, a young, daring yet humble Film maker who sensitises the society with his films and documentaries.


          1.  Hello Anshul! I know you as the director of 'Gateway to Heaven' and of course,  as a TEDxHyderabad Speaker. Please tell us a bit more about yourself.

          A.  Well, I did my PG Diploma in Mass Communications from Bharitya Vidya Bhavan in 2011 and I completed my MBA in 2012. During my MBA, I got interested in filmmaking. My first documentary film was on a Blind School. After my MBA, I joined as a Programme Producer in Hmtv News Channel. In the year 2012, I got my first International Award for my short film ‘Lapet’. In March 2013, I got an opportunity to direct my first Docu-drama film ‘Road of Spero’. But after making it, we didn’t find any distributors to release our film. After Road of Spero, I started working on my new docu-fiction project ‘Gateway to Heaven’ in the year 2013. For 2 months, we searched for producers but no one came forward. But I wanted to tell this story of a man who has performed last rites of 12000 orphan dead bodies in Hyderabad. So I joined in an MNC where I used to do night shifts and in the morning, I used to work on my film ‘Gateway to Heaven’. It took 2 years to complete this film. In ‘Gateway to Heaven’, 4 different art forms (Animation, Fiction, Documentary & Pencil Sketching) have been brought into play. I used to get dreams of mortuary when I was writing the screenplay of this film and I hardly used to sleep. But the thought that ‘there is this one person in the society who is doing a great thing from past 20 years’, was the motivation to my soul. Till now, I have done 41 films for which I have received 88 awards, which includes 4 International awards and 12 International nominations.


            2.  Filmmaking. Was this your passion since childhood? What is reason behind  choosing this?

            A. Filmmaking was not my childhood passion. My childhood dream was to become a cricketer. But when I started knowing more about this, I went crazy and it was like I always wanted to do this. I love to make inspirational and innovative films. In my every film, you will find a new and different story.



            3.  I have seen the trailer of ‘Gateway to Heaven’. It is really moving. What made  you to choose this story?

              A. I was doing a documentary film on Bio-medical waste in 2013. At that time, I came to know about Mr.Rajeshwar Rao. After knowing about him, I have decided that I should definitely do a film on him. We didn’t get any producers for this film. But I didn’t give up and started working on this project. We have used 4 different art forms to narrate the story - first is Animation, second is Fiction, third is Documentary and fourth is Pencil Sketching.



      4.  I heard filming this involved a lot of risks. Please tell us about it.

             A.  When we started working on this film, many people refused to give us location  assistance. I have risked my life 17 times to shoot all the sting operations. And now, no distributor is ready to buy this film. After winning 2 awards, we are not getting theatre release for the film. We are getting threat calls from many people who are involved in the organ mafia. They don't want this film to be released.



            5. Some of your films are selected to feature in film festivals. What role do these  film festivals play in encouraging films based on social issues?

            A. Film festivals are really a source of survival for Independent film makers. I literally survived on film festivals. I have got 88 awards plus 4 International awards and 17 International nominations. Film festivals encourage good and meaningful cinema.



            6.  Your previous film "The Unseen Disaster" is about Bio-medical Waste. How valid do you think, is this subject in our society?

            A.  Bio-medical waste is a very serious issue in our society. If we are mixing bio-medical waste with municipality solid waste, it is a crime which is daily going on in our city. Many diseases are spreading because of this and many hospitals are not separating the wastes. There is very less awareness in society about this issue. Here is the link of the film – ‘The Unseen Disaster’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=5eoT4lehKMg


 7.  You make films about sensitive social issues and unsung heroes. What are the difficulties involved in this type of filmmaking?

 A.  There are many unsung heroes in the society. If I make films on them, then it will encourage them to do more for the society. Also many people will come to know about their work. Yes as a low budget film maker, it is very difficult to manage production for these films. But if story is heart-touching, then definitely I am ready to take the risk and make the film. My resources are very less, but I am confident that my film making can bring serious changes in the society. We don’t have high-end cameras to shoot, high-end computers to edit and we don’t have producers but what we do have is Courage and Vision which breaks all the barriers.



8         8.   What will be your next venture?

A.   My next project would be a documentary film based on rape victims who are mentally challenged. I want to make a film for them. After watching our film, if they can come out of depression and can live normal lives like all of us, then that will be equal to 100 crores for us. We are doing research work and very soon will be starting this project.


9.   What is your advice for aspiring film-makers?
A.   I am not such a big person to give out advices.


10.  Please tell us about your experience as a TEDxHyderabad Speaker.
 A.  It was a very good experience. I have been making films from past 5 years but no one understood why I am doing this. After TEDx, people are appreciating my work and they even want to support me. Previously, I was doing it on my own. But now, more people are coming forward to help me.


11. Tell us about your interests other than film making.

             A.  Apart from films, I like running Half Marathons. I love to spend time with my family and friends. And seriously, I don’t have any girlfriends. ;-) 



1         12.  What is your one big grand dream for India?
 A.   Indians have great strength. One person can bring a big change. For example, Dasarath Manjhi (The Mountain Man) was just an individual. Gandhiji was an individual. Rajeshwar Rao is an individual. With my films, I bring forth this message of inspiration. So every Indian should work for a higher cause to bring bigger changes in the society. This is my Grand dream for India. 


13.  I generally write about Life & Happiness in this blog. So tell me, what is your idea of happiness?
A.   If u help a needy person, he will thank u from the bottom of your heart. According to me, helping others is Happiness and his gratitude is your real income.


14.  One quote you live by?
A.  The one quote I live by is ‘Koshish karne walo ki kabhi har nahi hoti’. Keep on trying. If you fail 100 times, then try again for 101st time. Never give up. People will laugh at you. People will fight with you. But one day, they will appreciate you.


15.  What will be that ultimate life advice you want to give our readers?
 A.  I can’t give any advice. I am just like all of you. I haven’t done anything big. I have just filmed the problems of society on my camera. Now everyone is having a smart phone, so everyone can make good films.


16.  What do you want to tell people about the upcoming release of your film ‘Gateway to Heaven’?
 A.  This film is releasing on 13th December. This is the story of a man who has sacrificed his life for the society. Don’t watch ‘Gateway to Heaven’ as a regular film. It’s a dedication to the man who has performed last rites of 12000 unclaimed dead bodies and is fighting against Organ Mafia for the past 20 years. I sincerely appeal to the people to come and witness the true story of man who is doing extraordinary things without any expectations. This is our honest attempt to show the world, his brave journey.



 ·   Watch the trailer of ‘Gateway to Heaven’ here -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouSZYHPOYE
 ·   You can subscribe to Anshul Sinha’s Youtube Channel and watch more of his films here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5gGxdewymRYxOmyV-ooPg
 ·   Watch his talk at TEDxHyderabad 2015 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXek6BlFAaM


       Blogger’s Note:
       It has been my great pleasure interviewing Anshul Sinha. He is such a down-to-earth  person working for the noble cause of telling the world, the stories of important yet                unknown causes/issues and unsung heroes.
       Hats off, Anshul. I am indeed very fortunate to be your friend. I wish you super success in everything you do.


      Note to Readers:
       If you know someone making a positive change in the society (or if you are that one), this blog is open to Interviews. Message us on our blog’s Facebook Page –                            www.facebook.com/kavzsunshine )

      #MissSunshine
      #SunshineInterviews




Comments

Popular Posts